Gov. Chris Christie is asking customers served by the Passaic Valley Sewerage Commission (PVSC) to limit water use as repairs are made to the agency’s treatment facility in Newark, which was damaged by flooding and power outages during Hurricane Sandy.
The agency serves 1.4 million customers in several North Jersey towns, including Belleville, Bloomfield, Cedar Grove, Fair Lawn, Franklin Lakes, Glen Rock, Hasbrouck Heights, Montclair, Newark, North Caldwell, Nutley, Ridgewood, Saddle Brook, South Orange, West Orange, Woodland Park and Wood-Ridge.
“We are asking residents and businesses served by the PVSC to heed the Governor’s Executive Order for mandatory water use restrictions, and to be even more diligent in conserving water to help us reduce the flow of effluents into the harbor and limit environmental impacts until we get this plant fully operational,’’ said DEP Commissioner Bob Martin.
Christie’s order includes the following water use restrictions, prohibitions and exemptions:
· All indoor water use, including showers, baths and domestic cleaning, must be conducted with minimum amounts of water;
· Non-essential indoor water use is prohibited;
· Watering of grass, lawns and landscapes is prohibited except for newly sodded or seeded areas done by professional landscapers or immediately following a commercial application of fertilizer, pesticide or herbicides; minimum amount of water should be used during these applications;
· Use of water for washing paved surfaces, such as streets, sidewalks, driveways, garages, parking lots and patios is prohibited;
· Outdoor use of water for ornamental or aesthetic purposes, including fountains, artificial waterfalls, and reflecting pools is prohibited, except to preserve or support wildlife
· Use of water for municipal street sweeping is allowed only with non-potable water and with minimal use necessary;
· Use of water for power washing of buildings is prohibited except for commercial enterprises engaged in power washing, and with minimum water use;
· Car and truck washing, except for emergency vehicles, is prohibited;
· Commercial car washing is allowed but with reduced rinse cycles and use of recycled water for pre-rinsing of vehicles;
· Cars and trucks at dealerships may only be washed just prior to delivery, with wash time limited to three minutes;
· Serving of water in restaurants, clubs, or other eating establishments is prohibited unless specifically requested by patrons.